Are you suffering from jaw pain or facial pain?
Do you find your chewing and daily functions affected by jaw issues?
Do you find your mouth opening is limited by jaw pain?
If you answered yes to any of the above you are amongst many people who experience TMJ disorders.
What are the TMJ disorders?
TMJ is the acronym for Temporomandibular joint which connects the lower jaw to the temporal bone next to our ears. Many issues of this joint stem from displacement of the disc in this joint or the facial muscles surrounding it.
TMJ issues are two folds: Acute/simple or chronic
1-Acute issues can arise after long dental visit or trauma injury to the site
2-Chronic issues of the jaw could indicate systemic conditions such as Arthritis or the
wear and tear of the jaw joint
How do we manage TMJ disorders?
In acute instances the following will help alleviate the pain:
– soft diet
– minimizing chewing on hard/crunchy foods, limiting gum chewing
– using ice to reduce inflammation around the joint
– massaging with warm towel intermittently
– taking anti-inflammatory pain killers such as: Advil (Ibuprofen) or Naproxen
– Night guard/splints to stabilize the bite
– using low level laser therapy offered at Canyon Dental and Skin Care Centre
If the above solutions fall short to help then the following will help with the chronic management of the TMJ disorders :
– myofacial pain management with gabapentins
– physiotherapy treatment around the joint
– Alternative medicine solutions such as naturopathic medicine
-Referral to an oral medicine specialist
At Canyon Dental and Skin Care Centre we offer a thorough new patient exam which includes a comprehensive examination of the intra oral as well as the extra oral tissues such as the TMJ. We do our best to offer the most individualized treatment modality possible. Dr. Glenn van As is one of the pioneers in laser dentistry and we pride in offering the most technologically advanced therapies in Low Level Laser Therapy at the Canyon Dental and Skin Care Centre. Low Level Laser Therapy is known to be one of the most effective therapies of the TMJ pain and discomfort as it reduces inflammation and induces healing at the site of injury.